Saturday, January 10, 2009

This has been going on since the beginning of fall and I need some help. I have an old pickup that I use to piddle around the property, haul stuff, etc. I call it my "ugly truck." Around here there is a premium on flat space so it's parked across the drive from the well house a few hundred feet from the main house. In early fall something, mouse, squirrel, vole, chipmunk, something decided the glove compartment of the truck would make a nice winter nest. There were leaves, pine needles, twigs and bits of paper all fluffed into a soft mesh. It was cute and comical in a way. Except that I kept my registration and insurance card in an envelope along with a notebook/log for the truck in there. That's where the paper came from. Imagine trying to explain that to the cop at the check-point. "Well, you see officer, there's this mouse. . . "
Anyway, I tossed the mess out and next week it was back. This time with insulation from my firewall. I put mouse traps in the truck and in the glove compartment with peanut butter no less - nothing. The peanut butter turned to stone. But the nests keep coming back. The thing is eating my truck. It's beginning to work on my mind. On one hand, I want to rush out every morning to check for the nest and on the other I'm afraid I'll find one. Believe me, this living with nature has its drawbacks.

4 comments:

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Richard,
Your blog looks great. I enjoyed reading this essay.

Glenda Council Beall said...

Richard,I know of two other incidents where mice made such a mess they damaged the vehicle. Recently my husband found some critter had climbed under his hood and chewed some wires as well as made a nest. They just want to get in out of the cold, I guess, and who can blame them.
Tonight I imagine many mice will seek haven in your truck.

Anonymous said...

There's a story we've probably all heard about how a guy who used to sneak over at night and add gas to his neighbors car as a pratical joke. With today's gas prices, maybe you have someone with a strange sense of humor who's playing a joke -- only cheaper. Nah...it sounds like the squirrels that eat my peaches every year and are now trying to chew their way through the walls into our attic. Sometimes the people win and sometimes nature does. Regardless, good luck. I hope you catch whatever it is and give it a good scolding.
Jerry Hobbs

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Richard, please don't leave us hanging, not knowing this "whatever it is." Meakin found a mouse in our car while he was driving. Good thing I wasn't in the car or you would have heard me scream all the way out to your house. Have no idea how it got there but a local said it must have sneaked in when we had the trunk open. So we have your word.......you'll tell us when you get this mystery solved, okay?
Sam Hoffer