Saturday, January 3, 2009

I was contemplating the new year recently, looking ahead to some things I might like to do. It's been a while since Judy and I have gone some place other than to funerals or visit relatives and some of these were the same trip. There are some bicycle tours that sound challenging. Judy has mentioned a desire to visit the Alabama coast. Maybe just a weekend in Chattanooga or Atlanta.
But then I wondered when we could fit this in. The medical doctor wants to see me sometime and he probably has some tests he thinks I need, just because I'm a senior citizen. The eye doctor will want to see me too. The dermatologist will want two visits from me as will the dentist. And the dentist wants me to become a ping-pong ball between him and the periodontist. I feel like a client Judy had when she was in psychiatric social work. There were only three times in the client's life: when she was preparing to brush her hair, when she was brushing her hair, and when she had just finished brushing her hair.
Well, here's my new year's resolution: if it don't hurt, I aint goin'. I know, there's a lot of bad stuff out there and some of it can sneak up on you. But, I'm in pretty good shape and nobody knows me better than me. And I know that some of the stuff they want to do isn't good for me. The side effects are worse than the illness. If I think there's a problem, I'll get it checked out. Other than that, they can deal with sick people and leave me alone. If I blow a gasket or crash and burn no one should feel bad. I checked out happy and doing what I wanted to do.

2 comments:

Nancy Simpson said...

Happy New Year to you, Richard. May you thrive in 2009.

You know I am most interested in your writing. I believe this is your year.

Anonymous said...

Richard, as we follow doctors' orders daily now, I feel the medical world is running our lives. I don't blame you for taking a break from that "medical Merry go round."
I have two brothers who never went to medical doctors until they were way up into their seventies. They get along well.