Sunday, February 1, 2009

This is chapter two in the "mouse" saga. Yes, I know it's a mouse. I saw the little nuisance. No, it wasn't in the truck, it was in the shed, more particularly in the chainsaw box. I was going to use my chainsaw (there is nothing like the whine of a well-oiled chainsaw to destroy the serenity of a crisp winter morning) and I went into the box. No, the chainsaw wasn't in the box; the tool I use to open the gas and oil caps was in the box. I don't keep my chainsaw in the box. Who does that? When I opened the box I saw the telltale clump of leaves, twigs and paper. And, a little head peeked out from the mess. Ah ha! I slammed the lid down, took the box into a clearing and called Ms Mousse. Ms Mousse is our Labrador Retriever. No, she's not the animal "moose", she's the dessert "mousse", because she's chocolate and she's sweet. I dumped the nest on the ground, she shoved her nose in it and the mouse took off. Now, the Mousster is sweet, but she's also old and slow, much like the humans she owns. I had to take her by the collar and put her onto the mouse's trail. They played hide and seek for a while, Mousse is susceptible to the double-back, until the mouse skittered up a tree. She did have fun tearing the nest apart. I told her she killed the nest and let the mouse get away. I haven't seen the mouse since. The saga continues.

1 comment:

Glenda Council Beall said...

Richard, tonight BB has a rat trap set -- under the hood of his convertible. A mouse set up housekeeping in there and chewed some important wiring costing us money we can ill afford. A friend said we should put Tiger our cat under the hood and let her catch the rat, but Tiger barely goes out in the cold weather and I don't think she'd look for mice under the hood. So hope BB catches his mouse tonight.
Hope yours doesn't come back.